Are you already bored of your new notebook? Is it looking kind of Plain Jane? Are the stickers you placed on it for decoration losing their luster? Or perhaps you just want a more grown up look now that you are more mature? If you’re anything like me, any or all of those reasons have been an excuse at one time or another to give my notebooks a new look. Whether they were for school back when I was a kid, or just to organize myself now that I a mature adult, LOL… I rather enjoy this little pastime. I surely would have earned better grades if they would have allowed these kinds of assignments in my classes. Well, maybe.
Now that Edgar’s back in school I was inspired to create this new version of an old notebook using Mexican oil cloth. If nothing else, it will make it easier to spot me from a mile away.
Here’s what you’ll need to get started:
– Craft glue
– A notebook (obviously)
– A ruler
– Mexican Oil Cloth (the obsession continues)
– Card stock (any color you fancy)
– Prep your notebook by wiping away any debris with a dry and clean cloth.
– Measure out a piece of oil cloth for your cover by placing your notebook over the backside of the oil cloth
– Leave half an inch of oil cloth at the top, bottom, and on the sides where your notebook opens.
– Measure, mark and cut the oil cloth.
Note: If you don’t want to bother with the binding of your notebook, allow 1/2 an inch of space from the binding. You can fill that space later with duck tape. You’ll cut two pieces of oil cloth in this case, one for each side.
– Spread glue evenly over the front flap of your notebook.
– Carefully place the flap with glue on it over the backside of the Mexican oil cloth.
– Position your notebook into place before the glue dries, then allow the glue to dry.
– Turn your notebook over so the front side of the oil cloth is showing and cut the two corners of the cloth diagonally, as shown in step 2.
– Spread glue on the interior of your notebook along about 1/4 of an inch from the edge.
– Fold the oil cloth flaps you cut and and press firmly to the glue on the inside of your notebook.
– Place a heavy book on top of the notebook until the glue dries.
– Once the glue has dried, cover the interior seams of your notebook by gluing the card stock.
– Repeat steps one and two for the back flap of your notebook.
That’s it! You’re ready to show off your new creation. I hope you enjoyed this easy DIY idea for jazzing up your notebook. You’ll notice I added rhinestones on mine just for an extra kick. 🙂