Think of it as the “go to” snack for something quick and delicious. In my house growing up when there was little else to make a meal out of fideo and frijoles with a side of nopales always hit the spot. My youngest brother to this day LOVES a big old bowl of fideo over any other traditional Mexican dish my mother offers to make him when he comes over. I still prefer my chile con queso, but fideo is pretty high up on the list of foods I would have a hard time living without.
So last week we brought you Flautas Bien Mexicanas. Congratulations to the winner of that giveaway by the way! This time we’re sharing our own recipe for making a great fideo that will conquer even your most picky eaters (yes, I mean kids). Edgar loves fideo.
Before We Get Started – The GIVEAWAY
Each week we will be giving away a $75 gift card to Kroger. To enter you must leave a comment on this blog post with your email address included (don’t worry it won’t be public) so that I can get in contact with you if you win, on or before 11:59 p.m. on Wednesday, March 27, 2013. The winner of the $75 gift card will be announced here on this blog post by Friday, March 29, 2013. ¡Buena suerte!
NOW THE RECIPE
You will need: fideo or any thin pasta, tomato juice or tomato sauce (I’m using low sodium tomato juice), chicken bullion, salt, pepper, cooking oil.
- In a small pot over high heat add oil and fideo and allow it to toast to a gold brown color. Keep an eye on it so it does not burn.
- Add about 2 cups of water and less than one table spoon of chicken bullion.
- Allow your fideo to boil then add 1 to 2 cups of tomato juice (depending on your personal taste preference) and about 1 cup of additional water.
- Allow it to boil and heat for another 3 to 4 minutes then turn off the heat source and allow your fideo to come to a full cook in the broth. You don’t want your fideo to burn so keep a close eye. If it burns it turns into mush.
- Add salt and pepper to taste. If you want even more flavor add cilantro and jalapeño as garnish. You can even add beans from the clay pot for a more hearty meal.
This is a sponsored post. The Kroger Company is administering the giveaway, and is also the sponsor for this post on Juan of Words. To learn more about Kroger visit them on Facebook or follow them on Twitter @KrogerCo.