10. Because she is a Tapatia from Guadalajara, Jalisco, home to some of the best mariachi music in the world!
9. Because the very word Tapatia evokes images of courageous, passionate, feminine beauty…uninhibited, unapologetic, unsurpassed!
8. Because Jimena, sometimes spelled Ximena, accomplished by herself, what a whole team of Mexican World Cup soccer players could not – bringing home the crown!
7. Because like a winner she chose her red, flowing, single-strap, gown well in advance of the Miss Universe competition as a tribute to her country’s bicentennial independence anniversary…and she literally rocked it!
6. Because she is only the second Mexican beauty to have ever claimed the Miss Universe title, ever!! The first was Lupita Jones of Mexicali, Baja California, in 1991.
5. Because even though she is a Mexican national and will be traveling the world, Jimena still looks Illegal, but can’t be deported!! (Sorri for you Arizona!)
4. Because all she wanted to do after winning the title of Miss Universe was “give my parents a big hug.”
3. Because her win in some way diminishes the stereotype of lazy Mexicans lying around, underneath a tree or against a cactus, in full mariachi hat and huaraches, doing nothing…although it is true we do like our siestas!
2. Because after the whole swine flu fiasco, our country will once again be known for exporting more than just mutant pandemics named after pigs…or even worse narcotics, crime and immigrants. Yes, we’ve heard what some gavachos say about us!
1. And finally, because after all the narco-wars, murders, kidnappings, political ploys, defaming, scandals, etc., the people of Mexico needed a win like this to once again rejoice and scream at the top of their lungs – ¡Viva México! ¡Viva México! ¡Viva México!